Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Life after Austin.

It has been nearly eight months since my last blog!!  Wow! It has been a while, so I suppose I better get you up to speed.  At the time of my first attempt at blogging, only two months had passed since we moved to Palo Alto.  I was not working, but I was furiously applying to jobs and sending out my resume.  It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be to find work.  I was getting almost no response and I was actually starting to worry!  This was a shocker, since my dad has always called me the "what, me worry?" kid.

I finally landed a sweet gig as a sales associate at Macy's selling women's coats and suits.  When I say "sweet gig," I mean it was the easiest job I have ever had.  It was also the lowest paying position I have ever had, if you don't include the two weeks I worked at Taco Bell as a high school student.  I have a bachelor's degree and I did three years of full time study after college graduation, yet I was making $9 per hour.  I was stooping to new lows, but that was okay!  I was living in an amazing place with my fantastic fiance!  The mountains were close by for skiing, the ocean was even closer, and the wine country was just waiting for me to visit.



Even thought I was enjoying life, I did know that "sales associate" was not the job for me, so I kept looking for something better and brighter.  I was still getting no response from the numerous resumes and cover letters I sent out, so I figured "better and brighter" could at least mean "more money".  Hence, my return to the restaurant industry.  Waiting tables normally means fewer hours and more pay, so I got a job as a server in a well-known restaurant.  I was working half as many hours as I was at Macy's and I was making twice as much money.  Too bad I hate waiting tables...

Finally, I got a position in my field at a HUGE firm in San Francisco.  It was my dream job and I could not have been happier!!  The next day, they called and said they made a mistake.  The job would only be temporary with the chance of one day becoming permanent.  So, my work life remains in limbo.  I still don't have a permanent job, but I am still extremely optimistic. Things will work out...eventually.

When I am not looking for a job, I am taking care of my dog, my house, and my fiance.  Since Luis is a Stanford University graduate student, he does not have much time to take care of anything except for his schoolwork.  That means I am very busy!! Not to mention trying to maintain a social life.  Oh, did I mention I am also planning our wedding?  Blog #3 = Wedding!!!

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this one?! I will never forget the purple and turquoise striped Taco Bell shirt...with the cute matching cap. :)

    So glad you're happy!!!!

    xoxo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete